Monday, April 6, 2009

Lately

Well, I have a new job....It's actually a substitute teaching job, and I've been substituting for the last school year, ever since I got back from my wedding. But this one is interesting because it is a long-term job. The woman I am subbing for is out on maternity leave, so this is a three-month job! It is really great so far. I am teaching 11th grade Honors English, plus Newspaper and Yearbook. I really like it so far, particularly the Honors English, which is right up my alley--I was an English Literature major. I am now in my fifth week!

Also, this last weekend was quite an important one for me. It is interesting when creativity strikes you. Vern was out mowing the lawn, and I was out watching him, when suddenly a screenplay--that I have had in my mind for about 4 years now--came to a sort of fruition. I was finally able to write an outline of scenes--32 in all--which will eventually comprise my script! It was a huge moment for me, because as I said I have been mulling it over and over in my mind for 4 years. It is huge that I was able to put it down in the order that I want, to make it a movie worth watching. I read it to Vern when he was done with the lawn, and he said "that's a movie." And it is.

Now, of course, I have to commence with the actual writing of each scene. Which is daunting, to be sure, but not nearly as daunting as it was before I had this outline. Now I can skip around--if scene 8 isn't coming easily to me, then I can skip to scene 13, etc. It's really a huge step for me.

My plan for this screenplay is to finish writing what I'm hoping will be a FANTASTIC piece, and then "shopping it around" to studios. I don't exactly know how to go about it yet, but I feel that if I have a really good script, I will be able to secure an agent (for screenwriters) and then to get it seen by the people that would produce it. Writing is something that, if you do it well, agents are interested in you no matter what--at least as far as I know, that is the case. It's different with acting, where you could be phenomenal, but if you weren't in something recognizable then they don't want you. Writing is a totally different ballgame. When I am done with the script, I will consult my friend, Sy Rosen, who was a TV writer for 30 years or so and see what advice he can give me. Hopefully he can help me out and teach me about the avenues I need to go down.

A caviat to this screenplay--which I wholeheartedly intend to see through--is that I am only offering the script if I am attached as the lead. I wrote it because I identify with the main character, and I intend to play her. The best part about it is that it is a true story, but one that a lot of people don't know about, so I think it will be a great film. It will likely be very independent, but I'm aiming high in my mind right now and throwing around the names Miramax and Lion's Gate and New Line. Those are the production companies that I hope will fund it. And it will need a LOT of funding--it's a period piece, set in the 1940's and 1950's.

Anyway, that's my big news. It engulfs my mind--the other day I was driving to a play rehearsal, and I got there in what seemed like no time (really about an hour), because I was thinking of my script and the characters the whole time.

Well, I think Vern is done with recording now, so I am probably going to go.

Talk to you soon,
Clare

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow, what aren't you good at?! You are a very talented woman and I am excited to see the movie so keep working on it!

CarolO said...

Inspiring!

Brad O. said...

That is really cool. I know exactly what you mean... you get excited about something you have created and can't think about anything but continuing to work on and enhance that thing you are creating. It is a good feeling. I had something like that for about 3 years up until just recently. I wish I had something like that right now.